Menu Contact White & White, Attorneys at Law
Free Initial Consultation 865-622-7768

How can I collect child support if my ex moved out of state?

If you're struggling to collect your child support money from a parent who has moved out of Tennessee, it can be quite frustrating. Sometimes, a noncustodial parent's job can take them to another region, but other times, the parents are simply trying to dodge paying what they owe.

While collecting your child support money can be challenging, it is certainly possible, and that's where a Tennessee family law attorney can be quite useful to you.

There is a law in place that makes this a bit easier for those seeking support dollars. The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) was passed in 1992. As such, it provides standards for all states to follow when enforcing child support agreements and orders all over the country.

One of the provisions of UIFSA states that only a single child support order is enforceable at one time. So, if your order was granted here in Tennessee but your spouse now lives in Alabama, the Tennessee order is the one that is the valid controlling order. It must be then registered in the Alabama court to be enforced.

Once that has been taken care of, if your ex still avoids making support payments, their wages may be garnished or their property seized. Other actions include suspension of professional and business licenses and even revocation of their driver's license until the parent is in compliance with the order.

If you do not yet have a child support order in place, that must be your first priority. Sometimes you must also establish paternity in these cases if the father's name is not on the birth certificate or the father has not acknowledged paternity in other ways. You might need to attend a video-conference court appearance with your ex in attendance from out-of-state. Your Tennessee family law attorney can help you prepare for the hearing.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Honors & Memberships
  • 10 Best – 2016 | Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys(TM)

    He has received this award 2016-2019 for 10 best Attorneys, Client Satisfaction Award.

  • The National Top 40 Under 40 Advocates

    He has received this award 6 years in a row now. for Top 100 Attorneys.

  • 10 Best Attorney | Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys(TM)

    Member since 2018 for Top 10 Family Law Attorney for Tennessee.

  • Family Law Top 10 Attorney - 2017-2019 | Attorney and Practice Magazines

    Member since 2017 for Top 10 Family Law Attorney in Tennessee.

  • Best Legal Counsel

    Member since 2018 for Best Legal Counsel in Family Law.

  • Lawyers of Distinction

    Member since 2017 for Excellence in Family and Divorce Top 10% in the USA.

  • Best Attorneys of America | Lifetime Charter Member

    Lifetime charter member for Best Attorneys in America for Tennessee.

Contact Us For A Free Case Evaluation - Email or Call 865-622-7768

White & White, Attorneys at Law, is committed to working with individuals to help them reshape their lives. Perhaps you need a second chance after getting arrested; maybe you're trying to pull yourself together during a frustrating divorce. Whatever the issue, the experienced lawyers at White & White, Attorneys at Law, are here to help.

Individuals are encouraged to contact the firm online or call to schedule a free initial consultation and discuss their legal needs with an experienced Sevierville family law attorney. Appointments are scheduled during regular business hours, but evening and weekend appointments are available upon request.


Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

White & White, Attorneys at Law 216 Phoenix Court Suite D Seymour, TN 37865 Toll Free: 888-551-9046 Phone: 865-622-7768 Fax: 865-577-1655 Seymour Law Office Map

How can I collect child support if my ex moved out of state? | White & White, Attorneys at Law