Menu Contact White & White, Attorneys at Law
Free Initial Consultation 865-622-7768

How can I find my child's other parent?

If you and your child's other parent aren't married and/or they are not contributing to the child's support, you have the right to seek child support payments. That, however, can be easier said than done if you do not know the other parent's whereabouts. But that does not mean that the door to support remains closed to you. In fact, you owe it to your child to seek support so that you can provide for your child the best life that you can.

So, how can you initiate this process? In some cases, the other parent may not be aware that you gave birth to his child if the relationship was brief or very casual. In those situations, it will be necessary to first establish paternity. He can submit a DNA sample that will be compared to the child. If it is a match, typically he will have to pay for the test. Once paternity is established, you may then seek support according to the guidelines established by the state of Tennessee.

Some parents decide to set their own child support arrangements, which are then submitted to the court for approval. The courts will usually approve agreements that meet or exceed the state's minimum support obligations.

But other times, the absent — or deadbeat — parents know full well that the children belong to them and that they are not supporting them financially or otherwise. In those instances, the deadbeat moms and dads may be intentionally dodging supporting their children by avoiding service of process, working for cash and other evasions.

You may need to seek legal guidance in order to locate the absent parent. Your Tennessee family law attorney can assist you with this, as can the state Office of Child Support Enforcement. It is helpful to provide as much information as possible about your child's parent, including:

  • Full name and any aliases or nicknames
  • Social Security number
  • Names and addresses of parents, siblings, co-workers and employers
  • List of past employers
  • Child's birth certificate
  • Paternity test results
  • Child support order and/or divorce judgment

Once your child's other parent has been served with process, make sure that you and your attorney show up for all court appearances to plead your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Honors & Memberships
  • 10 Best – 2016 | Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys(TM)

    He has received this award 2016-2019 for 10 best Attorneys, Client Satisfaction Award.

  • The National Top 40 Under 40 Advocates

    He has received this award 6 years in a row now. for Top 100 Attorneys.

  • 10 Best Attorney | Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys(TM)

    Member since 2018 for Top 10 Family Law Attorney for Tennessee.

  • Family Law Top 10 Attorney - 2017-2019 | Attorney and Practice Magazines

    Member since 2017 for Top 10 Family Law Attorney in Tennessee.

  • Best Legal Counsel

    Member since 2018 for Best Legal Counsel in Family Law.

  • Lawyers of Distinction

    Member since 2017 for Excellence in Family and Divorce Top 10% in the USA.

  • Best Attorneys of America | Lifetime Charter Member

    Lifetime charter member for Best Attorneys in America for Tennessee.

Contact Us For A Free Case Evaluation - Email or Call 865-622-7768

White & White, Attorneys at Law, is committed to working with individuals to help them reshape their lives. Perhaps you need a second chance after getting arrested; maybe you're trying to pull yourself together during a frustrating divorce. Whatever the issue, the experienced lawyers at White & White, Attorneys at Law, are here to help.

Individuals are encouraged to contact the firm online or call to schedule a free initial consultation and discuss their legal needs with an experienced Sevierville family law attorney. Appointments are scheduled during regular business hours, but evening and weekend appointments are available upon request.


Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

White & White, Attorneys at Law 216 Phoenix Court Suite D Seymour, TN 37865 Toll Free: 888-551-9046 Phone: 865-622-7768 Fax: 865-577-1655 Seymour Law Office Map

How can I find my child's other parent? | White & White, Attorneys at Law