There could come a time when you need to request a child support modification. You may not feel good about this, as you want to provide your child with as much financial support as possible, but you may not have any choice for the time being.
Although you may believe that you have reason to pay less child support, here's something to remember: The final decision is up to the court.
Since you want to put yourself in the best possible position to receive a child support modification, there are many tips you need to follow. These include:
- Act quickly as to avoid complications. Once you realize that you need to request a child support modification, you need to take immediate action. Remember this: The court does not know that you are facing financial difficulties until you tell them.
- Inform yourself of the child support laws that you must follow. You need to understand the ins and outs of the law, as this will help you make better decisions.
- Speak with the other parent about what is going on in your life. If you are able to prove that you're having financial difficulties, the other parent may agree to receive less child support for the time being.
- Keep making payments. Even if you don't have the ability to make the payment in full, you should pay some of what you owe. This shows the court that you are making an effort to stay on track.
- Document your changes. Why are you requesting a child support modification? You need to document the changes that back up your claim. For instance, if you lost your job, you need to be able to prove this to the court.
- File your request as soon as possible. Since you want to receive a child support modification sooner rather than later, you should take this step as soon as possible.
These are just a few of the many child support modification tips you can follow to get on the right track. You may be thrown for a curve at some point during the process, but knowing your legal rights will go a long way in keeping you on the road to success.
It may sound impossible up front, but you have what it takes to request a child support modification. You simply need to know which steps to take and how to deal with any challenges that arise.